bitter liberal angst

Thursday, January 03, 2002

"The choice of vehicle that you drive has a greater effect on the environment than any other choice you make as a consumer"
- Union of Concerned Scientists


You may be surprised to find out that the Land Rover Range Rover (here Rover, c'mon), Cadillac Escalade and the GMC Yukon Denali are the least efficient SUVs on the road. After all, these vehicles are among the newest and most innovative vehicles available, right? Best Trucks. I decided to do a little comparision on the website between the innovative 2002 Cadillac Escalade (hereafter known as the Expellade) and my powerhouse 1999 Saturn SL. The Cadillac gets a whopping 15 miles per gallon ON THE HIGHWAY. (I used to own an 18-year-old gas guzzling 1979 Delta 88 that got better gas mileage than that.) The Saturn gets 38 miles per gallon (I've gotten up to 42 before.) If my Expellade-driving friend and I both go 15,000 miles this year, I'll spend $566 in gas. He'll spend $1350. In that same year, Senor Expellade will emit 14.6 tons of greenhouse gasses. My Saturn will emit 6.2 tons. But the Expellade is safer, right? Nope. The Saturn is among the safest cars on the road despite the fact that it is about 1/3 the size of the road-hogging Expellade. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, the 2002 Expellade has a "High Likelihood of Thigh Injury." You may be out some thighs, but I bet you can sure haul a lotta shit in that thing... and I'm sure that it will be put to great use by every Expellade driver in this country.

However, should you see a monster SUV like the Expellade, the GMC Denial, the Low-Range Rover or the Lincoln Navimaster not being put to the full use of their massive capacity (i.e. hauling a little league team to the game or lugging enough bricks to build a real fancy fountain in the backyard), you might consider giving them a ticket. Or you might prefer to 'tag' them with a great bumpersticker. There are also other bumperstickers available sure to turn even the most stalwart fuel-burner into a blubbering fountain of guilt. Hell, why not do both? I think I might. Happy tagging, kids!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home